Friday, July 03, 2009

Day .5











































































Day .5

As I write this, I'm sitting in my car on a rainy, cold morning in July. In West Virginia. Haha. Surprise?
After a relatively painless drive of around 7.5 hours, we stopped at a random gas station to get food and gas. This place was very... "welcome to WV" haha. I acquired an inexplicable crush on Jimmy, the guy who rang us up, and the lady who made our sammiches wore no gloves and told us to make sure no one robbed her. It took a really long time since she forgot what she was doing for a little while, but it was fun! That perkened me up considerably, and then we continued on our way. Laura saw a sign for the smallest church in 48 states, so we stopped and got in its well.
That was fun too. Then we drove up this very uphill road that was alternately paved and alternately gravel switchbacks. We got to the camp around 8 o'clock, but the office had closed at 4, so we had no wood. :( That was okay, though, because it started raining alot anyway. By this time, however, we'd already slapped our hammocks on the trees and tarped them securely. Go meat! Or so I thought.
I told Laura several times that I was glad we were not staying in Monongohela, because as we drove the creepy and crazy-foggy mountainous roads, I kept getting bad juju from the forest. I'm pretty sure Laura thinks I'm crazy.
Anyway, I announced that Kumbrabow (come-BRAY-bow) was a very friendly forest, especially since it had some people in it. Haha.
Being somewhat inexperienced hammockers, we did not consider the effects of wind and rain, and the wind would occasionally lift our tarps with a thick plastic crinkle, like a person would do, and we were horrified that one time there WOULD be a person or animal in front of our faces. That was unsettling, and it took a while for us to fall asleep.
I had a really funny dream that Laura and I were trying to find a place to shower in a spa-hotel place, and I was following my co-worker Becky around until we ended up in a room that wasn't ours, but I took a shower anyway, haha.
Then my head was wet. So I woke up and discovered that clothespins weren't really as efficient at keeping a tarp down as I'd hoped. Not alot of rain had come in, but it had trickled slowly down to me in the bottom of the hammock until I was in a puddle. :P
Brr. I smacked my little pillow into the puddle and tried to go back to sleep (this was around 5:30 AM) but it was mostly hopeless from there. Once I wake up fully in the morning, I'm up. >.o
Thankfully Laura was mostly awake too, so she and I talked about how funny it was that we were so scared last night, and then a bear bit me.
Just kidding.
But last night I definitely prayed to God that nothing would be tempted to try us delicious burri-toes. Hammocks with people in them really do look like burritos. Or tamales maybe. I would understand the confusion of the animals.
Oh ps! Corey, your headlamp has already been invaluable, so THANKS. :D
Seriously. It would have been difficult to set up camp, because we were losing light pretty quickly. Also I kept it around my neck in case I needed it during the night.
Also my ka-bar. Haha. I was like "If it bites me, IMMA STAB IT!"
But my fears were really unfounded. The only wildlife I've seen are chickadees. Those things are pretty mean when they're hopping around cutely looking for crumbs though. Vicious animals.
There are supposed to be coin-operated showers around here somewhere, and I hope we find them, because we have about a 6 hour ride to Tennessee. We decided to skip the swimming here because it's so cold and rainy today. Boo. And here I thought it was supposed to be swelteringly hot.
This campsite is only $11. TAKE NOTE OF THAT GREEN LANE. It's nice, and I would definitely camp here again.
I think my shirt is almost dry now. Woohoo!
Next up: Tennessee and the Gatlinburg Midnight Parade!

***
It got hot again!
We continued driving into Tennessee and are currently residing at a wifi spot and I'm attempting to upload pics and videos. Sometimes it's working and sometimes it's not, haha.
P.S. the falls by Kumbrabow were sooo pretty, but it was too cold to swim!! :(
P.S. Again: the pictures are all at the top in a bunch. Get over it. 1.Our precarious beds 2. Me in the well 3. Laura in the well 4. The smallest church in 48 states. Mail service on Friday the 13th.

No comments:

Post a Comment