Last night we had good weather for our kayaking to the bar, and once I got the hang of kayaking (it feels completely backwards for someone who canoes) [canoe canoe?], it was awesome. Except for the part when I fell in, BUT it's okay, because it was only about 14 inches of water, haha. I don't recommend re-entering your canoe on the water without someone to hold it for you. Actually, Paul showed me how to do it-- place your paddle flat across the top to provide resistance should you tip, then hop in. He managed it just fine. /dirty look
We went out with these hilarious French Canadians-- Cecile, Monqiue, Danielle, and the guy I didn't catch the name of. He was a clamming beast. He pulled up like 10 clams on his own. Mom and dad and I got our share too, but we discovered that they definitely run away. Also, mom is a kayaking MACHINE. I had no idea. She said "I had no idea why it felt so natural until I remembered I used to paddle around Balboa Island every summer when I was a kid." Nice.
The chowder Paul made was the best I've ever had. He used tarragon, and sherry, and carrots and potatoes, and the clams we just dug up, and it was amazing. The French Canadians also shared their wine with us and were just about the nicest people you could ever meet. Monique's dad came to have dinner with us on the shore, and he sang French songs, and then Victoria-by-the-Sea began setting up for their Canada Day fireworks. It was all just excellent timing, really. I was so impressed.
Internal post script: It was Danielle's birthday, so in addition to sharing their wine with us, they made everyone bananas flambe! It was great. Also during the singing, Monique was translating here and there, and one line made me laugh-- "..wine makes me sleep, but love wakes me up.."
Today we look for Green Gables in Cavendish, then head up to the point in Tignish to sea (ba dum pshh) where the waters of the gulf and the ocean meet. There's also a Black Marsh nature trail there, which doesn't sound like it's inviting, but I bet it is.
****Later****
(surreptitious FAIL)
No comments:
Post a Comment