Thursday we went into downtown Charlottetown for the Canada Day festivities, which happened to coincide with the Charlottetown Summerfest! So there were a mess of people. We also ran into our kayaking French-Canadian friends, so that was fun.
Charlottetown is so much smaller than we are used to when it comes to cities, and we completed the tour in about two hours, which left about two more until our dinner reservation, haha. We decided on the Gahan Pub, which was an excellent choice, though we are entirely convinced that all the food on PEI is amazing. We did not have one average or sub-par meal. I now know why they have "eat your way through the island" tours.
At Gahan's, I got a Sir John A's Honey Wheat Ale, and it was like heavenly voices came down and danced in my mouth and in mah belly. Who knew Canadian beer was good? I seriously have never had a beer that sat so nicely in every one of my senses. It was like they created a genetically complimentary beer for me. Anyway, dad got a cream ale, which he rolled his eyes in delight over, and a stout with dinner that he enjoyed just as much. Mom got a rose wine, trynna be the classy one. Somebody had to. ;) For food, I got the Acadian spiced chicken penne, and it was spicy and full of vegetables, and I've never had a dish that balanced heat with flavor so well. On the island they really seem to think about playing flavors and tones off of each other-- nothing is ever dipped in this or smothered in that-- they treat even simple dishes as an expression of art, and it shows. I know that sounds dramatic, but I'm not the only one who was really impressed by the cuisine. And I'm not even mentioning the seafood. Let's just say I'm ruined for life for all seafood from anywhere else.
After dinner, we ambled around plumply for a while before it started to rain, and so we decided to head back home instead of staying up for the fireworks. It doesn't get really dark until at least 10:15, and none of us wanted to stay in the city until then. I blame the parents, who cannot -against pain of death- stay in bed past 8 a.m.
P.S. There are lots of buskers in Char-town(Copyrighted), and I am shameless with historical figures.
No comments:
Post a Comment